NACIQI Meets by Teleconference on July 29-30, 2020
NATIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE ON INSTITUTIONAL QUALITY AND INTEGRITY MEETS BY TELECONFERENCE
The National Advisory Committee on Institutional Quality and Integrity (NACIQI) met by teleconference on July 29-30, 2020. The teleconference was open to the public. NACIQI is the advisory body that provides recommendations to the Secretary of Education on recognition of accrediting organizations. Recognition by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) affirms that the standards and processes of accrediting organizations and state approval agencies demonstrate compliance with USDE's criteria. In advance of the meeting, USDE issued staff reports for all of the organizations scheduled for review.
- Missouri State Board of Nursing - Renewal of recognition for four years.
- National Intelligence University – Approval of the realignment substantive change requested by the university.
- New York State Board of Regents, State Education Department, Office of the Professions (Nursing Education) – Continuation of the agency's recognition and require the agency to come into compliance within 12 months, with a compliance report due 30 days thereafter.
- Puerto Rico State Agency for the Approval of Public Postsecondary Vocational, Technical Institutions and Programs - Renewal of recognition for four years.
- U.S. Army Command and General Staff College - Approval of the substantive change request by the college and retroactive grant of the status so that the existing class of students may be included in the formal degree-granting authorization.
NACIQI reviewed the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) during its current period of recognition for questions about compliance with certain HLC and USDE recognition criteria regarding HLC's actions on two Dream Center institutes' accreditation. NACIQI voted to reject USDE's recommendation and not revise or curtail HLC's authority to accept new applications for accreditation for one year. A final decision on this issue will be made by a senior department official. NACIQI also voted to include a House Committee on Education and Labor report on USDE's and HLC's actions regarding the Dream Center's accreditation in the record (see item below).
NACIQI received a report from its subcommittee on governance. The report was forwarded for consideration by the Secretary of Education. Click here to view a copy of the subcommittee report.
The committee also heard a summary of a report on student success. A subcommittee is being created to further review student success standards and transparency. A charge and scope will be developed to guide the subcommittee, which will report to NACIQI at a later meeting.
HOUSE COMMITTEE ON EDUCATION AND LABOR RELEASES REPORT ON U.S. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION ACCREDITATION ISSUES
On July 28, 2020, the House Committee on Education and Labor issued a report titled “Shattered Dreams: Examining the Education Department’s Role in the Misconduct of Dream Center Education Holdings.” The oversight report examines the respective roles of the Higher Learning Commission, USDE and the Dream Center with regard to the accredited status of two Dream Center institutes. The issue of HLC’s actions in regard to the accredited status of the Dream Center institutes was addressed at USDE’s July 29-30 NACIQI meeting (see item above).