Skip to main content
- CHEA Fact Sheet #1: Profile of Accreditation August 2012
This fact sheet updates numbers of accredited institutions and programs, types and numbers of recognized accreditors, purposes of accreditation, purposes of recognition, and recognition standards.
- CHEA Fact Sheet #2: The Role of Accreditation and Assuring Quality in Electronically Delivered Distance Learning September 2001
This fact sheet includes information on who offers electronically delivered distance learning, how distance learning is reviewed for quality, and how accrediting organizations are held accountable for review of quality of distance learning.
- CHEA Fact Sheet #3: Twelve Important Questions About External Quality Review September 2001
A series of questions that students and others may find useful to ask about the external quality review of a course, institution, or program in which they might enroll. CHEA does not endorse any specific course of study, program, or institution, but encourages careful scrutiny of materials, commitments, and claims of all providers of higher education.
- CHEA Fact Sheet #4: A Framework for Meeting Transfer of Credit Responsibilities May 2002
The Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) initiated its work on accreditation and transfer of credit in 1998. In 2000, CHEA published A Statement to the Community: Transfer and the Public Interest. This statement was the result of CHEA’s concern that accredited status of a program or institution assist, not hinder, students in the transfer process.
- CHEA Fact Sheet #5: Accrediting Organizations in the U.S.: How Do They Operate to Assure Quality? April 2006
A brief overview of how U.S. accrediting organizations carry out their work: information about standards and policies of individual accrediting organizations; governance and organization of accreditors; and how to find information about accredited institutions and programs.
- CHEA Fact Sheet #6: Important Questions about “Diploma Mills” and “Accreditation Mills” May 2003
A series of questions for students, government, and the public in case they encounter questionable providers of higher education.
- CHEA Fact Sheet #7: Nonprofit and For-Profit Higher Education and Accreditation July 2012
Statistics on nonprofit and for-profit higher education and accreditation, using data provided to CHEA by accrediting organizations for accrediting activity during 2010-2011.